Thursday, October 16, 2014

Birth Day










My Very Happy Birth-Day started out rainy and slightly chilly. Lucky for me I like the rain! The world was sparkling and shiny covered with New York Rain. Inspired by the thought of my Starbucks challenge - 15 coffees in 15 days for 15 stars - I headed off in search of one while Terry got ready. I found one right across the street from the Hilton, complete with its own NY attitude, which means the employees had their own attitude and the customers came right after mopping the floor.  I was the only one in line to order and I must have stood there for 4 or 5 minutes watching the chaos on the other side of the counter. Evidently a lot of walk ins were carrying out warmed breakfasts and the staff couldn't keep up with demand. Whatever, it was fun watching.

I took a quick walk around the area and found MOMA - the Museum of Modern Art and Radio City Music Hall, both open for business. Tours at RCMH from 10 to 5, and similar hours on MOMA.  Of course I wandered around for a while, proving to myself that my coat was not rainproof, and I really was in New York City.  It had stormed during the night, but the morning rain was  a gentle shower.  Terry was ready by the time I returned. I presented the options I discovered, but Terry had been busy researching movies and had decided that we needed an indoor activity for a few hours.  He located an AMC 25 on 46th. I went by the concierge and got my own umbrella, since we don't share well, and we headed off for Times Square.


See how everything glitters in the rain, including my Milwaukee- born husband. We of course found the AMC and selected the first available movie- Automata staring Antonio Banderas, a Sci-Fi movie, not my favorite genre, but definitely not something you would sleep through. The movie house was right across the street from the Regal, both multi-story buildings of course.  Automata was screening on the 6th floor.


Large patio off the 6th floor of the AMC theater  with awesome views of NY City and my silly husband pretending he was attached to a giant  hand stretching out over the street.  Automata's hero Jacq Vaucan (Antonio Banderas) was an insurance agent who seemed more like a police detective in the new desolate depressing world which has evidently been the target of a nuclear blast.  Robots are the new workers and Jacq is targeted with paying their owners for their breakage and dysfunction.  Along the way he befriends a female robot designed strictly for pleasure but who has no limits on her intelligence and no limits on endurance. She and some robot friends head out across the vast wasteland outside the city borders - forbidden land for humans who get immediately shot if found out there -  to find a new better tomorrow for themselves. Dylan McDermott one of my favorite actors, played the menacing non-hero police detective who eventually gets blown away by Jacq.


After the movie, skies were blue and temperatures moderate - a gorgeous New York day with unseasonably warm temperatures.

This was another beautiful view from the AMC theater's patio.










You Can't Take it With You, a relatively new play staring James Earl Jones.  Although we weren't supposed to take pictures in the theater, I took this one before I really knew that.  No one saw me so I got to keep my iphone. This is the outside of the site of the play and turns around completely to reveal a exquisite two story house inside populated by a variety of amusing characters. 


New York by Night is Beautiful.  We enjoyed the walk back to the Hilton. Me more than Terry.

Times Square




Terry and the Ticker Tape

A rarity in NYC - No People in Sight

Deliriously Happy M&M's 



No comments:

Post a Comment